Wednesday, May 21, 2008

This fits perfectly

Life is never boring with a two-year-old around. Today, Elaina decided that it would be neat to stick some plastic beads up her nostrils, one in one side, and two in the other. She came up to me and asked me to help her with her beads. I thought that she wanted help cleaning them up, but she started pointing to her nose and that's when I saw the first bead. I was able to get it out with a prong of a fork and I thought that was it, until Elaina grabbed the fork and started trying to stick it up her nose. I took her over to the light and discovered that she had an additional bead up each nostril. We ended up breaking our family goal, to stay out of the emergency room. We were there about 8 weeks ago for Elaina when she split her forehead open and had to have it glued shut, and once for me when I had a breast infection.

Elaina seemed to remember the place and upon arrival and asked to watch Ratatouille. (she watched that last time she was there) The University of Chicago has a brand new Children's Hospital, with it's own children's ER. It's really nice. We didn't have to wait at all to get her in and the doctors and nurses were great. They tried having me blow into her mouth in order to force the beads out the nostrils, but that didn't work, so they tried using forceps to get the bead out, but that only ended up gouging the inside of her nose. Blood was everywhere. Then they suggested that we plug the not-bloody nostril and have me blow into her mouth again. Why didn't they think of that before the blood? So I blew and ended up getting a face full of blood and snot! Plus the bead. Gross. If it was anyone else, I think I would have died. Isn't it funny how much you don't care about that kind of thing when it's your own child? They got the other bead out with forceps, all the while Elaina is just freaking out. I felt kind of bad for her, but I couldn't help but think that it was kind of funny too. It was such a two-year-old thing to do. Almost a right of passage. Hopefully she won't do it again.

5 comments:

Brian Hall said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for sharing the solution; it might come in handy some day with my little ones. :-)

Melanie said...

I think it's true, beads up the nose must be a right of passage! Amy Gelwix had the same problem with Lucy a while ago. Sorry it had to turn into a bloody ordeal though!!

Todd and Lisa said...

Audrey put beads up her nose when she was 3 and I thought there were some in her ear, too (probably because she told me there was). We ended up at the ER getting her ear flushed out (which turned up nothing). Thank goodness I was able to get the beads out of her nose with my beading pliers. Poor Elaina and Heather, I'm sorry I'll bet that was pretty gross! You are a great mother!

Ali Howell said...

If only life were complete without 2 year olds learning that their nose is just the right size for small objects like beads...or at our house raisins! Hopefully she learned her lesson! It took camden two rather terrifying experiences of getting raisins out of his nose to catch on it was a bad idea. Fortunately we avoided the ER thanks to Jared, but you are much tougher than me! By the time we were done i'm not sure who was more of a crying wreck...Camden or me!!! I hope her poor little nose recovers soon!

Brandon, McKell & Ryker said...

One of my friends was at the ER about a month ago for the same thing. They gave her some tweezer looking things to get the beads out if it happened again. My sisters boys did the same thing but with candy. It is amazing what kids do. I am glad you got it taken care of. Like Lisa said you are a great mom.