Tuesday, March 04, 2008

9 days and counting

Am I in labor yet? I wake up at about 4 or 5 in the morning each morning with contractions that keep me from sleeping, but they go away in the late morning. I am really getting sick of this! I'm usually not able to fall asleep until about 1 in the morning, so my sleep hasn't been all that great - sorry to anyone I'm cranky to in the next little while. I'm thinking that when real labor starts I will probably be able to convince myself that it isn't real until it's time to go to the hospital. I really shouldn't complain - everything has gone so well with this pregnancy - it happened right when we wanted it to, I've felt pretty good up until now, and as far as we can tell the baby is healthy. What more could we ask for? I'm starting to retain water (hopefully that's what it is) and I am starting to recognize that old, familiar, fat face that I got so used to a couple of years ago - even though I'm a full 20 pounds lighter at this point in my pregnancy than I was then. I owe it all to a high-protein diet (Lots of skim milk and eggs - not my favorite). I find myself starting to rebel in small ways (eating more dessert, caffeine, anything with sugar) - I'd probably feel better if I didn't eat that stuff - but I already feel crappy so what's one thing more? Right? Yeah, I know.

But seriously, all that aside, I can't imagine being any more happy than I am now - maybe more content - but not happy. I really enjoy being a mother. Elaina is so much fun to have around and I love her companionship. She is such a great little buddy and with her I feel like I'm getting a second childhood. I love my friends and I'll be really sad for us all to move in June when school is over. I love Torry more and more each day - he is such a sweet, fun person to be around and I'm excited for this next quarter when he'll only be taking 2 classes so he can be around more. Life is just overall good and I'm excited for the next chapter of it - new baby, new job, new city. I'm beginning to look forward to the unknown - our Chicago adventure has been so much fun, I'm excited to see what is coming next.

5 comments:

Amy Gelwix said...

I'm here! I'm so sorry you are at that last stretch and feeling horrible. And I love those pictures of Elaina and Lucy. Definitely keepers and I'm glad you posted them. What will we do without Lucy's fairy princess companion when you leave?!?

Amy Gelwix said...

And what I meant by "I'm here" is that I'm happy to help!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Julia said...

Good luck! I hope the little guy comes soon.

Ali Howell said...

I'm so excited for you!!! I sure hope he makes his apperance soon with fewer days of labor than elaina! I can't wait to hear that he is here and that you are feeling better. I'm sorry about the water retention thing...but i hope it's better considering it's not as hot in march as it was in july! I"M JUST SO EXCITED FOR YOU!! i cant' wait to talk to you! Good luck!